[Sca-cooks] crudites

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 29 09:21:54 PST 2003

> I was bringing a lot of stuff to my mother's house for Thanksgiving,
> and discovered a jar of watermelon pickle in the fridge. I think it
> was two years old, and I hadn't liked that particular batch (I think
> I used the wrong kind of vinegar, which kind of masked the watermelon
> flavor). Well, I brought it, figuring this was a golden opportunity:
> someone would be bound to eat at least some of it, and I could in
> good conscience just leave it at my Mom's house to fester in her
> fridge if nobody did.

I actually brought watermelon pickle to Yule, also. I had a jar that was
sitting in the cupboard (bought at the demise of a local grocery) and I
figured this was as good a time as any to open it. I had some, I think one
or two others had some, and the general concensus was that it must be the
'canned gelfilte fish' phenomenon -- one could imagine that homemade ones
would be good, but the commercial stuff was not.

Then again, I also brought a jar of marinated mushrooms because they were
on sale for 99 cents and I wanted the jar. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church