[Sca-cooks] dry-cured ham source

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Dec 28 12:20:26 PST 2003

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>I am surprised that Master A has not popped up with this, but I frequently
>see Smithfield Hams available at my local Chinese supermarket.  Apparently,
>they are extremely similar to Yunnan hams.  Interesting parallel
>development!
>
>Selene C.

So many posts. So little time... ;-)

It might be worth mentioning that the Chinese butcher shops will
either slice your Smithfield ham to order (using a band saw on the
bones) or sell it in chunks, probably at a hefty markup for the
latter, which you don't notice because they're just a pound or less.
It's customary in my wife's family for somebody to get a Smithfield
Ham shortly before Christmas and divvy it up among the family, whose
needs for a couple of ounces of the stuff for Winter Melon Soup are
then met for almost another year.

But I'm sure any other butcher, including the one in the supermarket,
has the equipment, and could be persuaded to, slice it for you.

A.