[Sca-cooks] dry-cured ham source

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 17:33:18 PST 2003

Adamantius commented:
> But I'm sure any other butcher, including the one in the supermarket,
> has the equipment, and could be persuaded to, slice it for you.
Thank you! That is a wonderful idea. The next time I buy one, I'll have
them do that. They come as a whole ham in their own cloth sack and
label, but I imagine I can take this to the butcher, have them slice it
and then to the checkout counter.

The instructions with the ham say to rub the ham with salt after a
chunk is cut off. If it is sliced up, is this something that should be
done to each slice? Or should I just keep the slices in the
refrigerator? Which is where the rest of my Smithfield ham is, because
I got tired to rubbing salt onto it each time. Unfortunately, things
left in the refrigerator get pushed to the back and forgotten.

Stefan
Smithfield ham is sounding real good right now, after all these
messages on it. But I've got some water-added ham that probably ought
to get eaten first...
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com