[Sca-cooks] dry-cured ham source

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Dec 28 19:39:26 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> The instructions with the ham say to rub the ham with salt after a
> chunk is cut off. If it is sliced up, is this something that should be
> done to each slice? Or should I just keep the slices in the
> refrigerator? Which is where the rest of my Smithfield ham is, because
> I got tired to rubbing salt onto it each time. Unfortunately, things
> left in the refrigerator get pushed to the back and forgotten.

Stefan, why are you putting your Smithfield in the fridge? It's designed to
be kept out, someplace cool and dry. Most folks I know have it hanging
someplace convenient, like a corner of the kitchen, or a pantry. And how
much trouble is it to take a handful of salt, and wipe the cut face with it?
Even if you get lazy, and don't do it, a proper Smithfield won't even notice
for a week or so. A refrigerator, Stefan, will add moisture to a Smithfield,
never mind its tendency to impart flavors to uncovered foods, and moisture
is the one thing that can hurt a Smithfield.

> Stefan
> Smithfield ham is sounding real good right now, after all these
> messages on it. But I've got some water-added ham that probably ought
> to get eaten first...

Suggestion- it's something done quite commonly in Ohio, which is wgere I
discovered it. Cube up your ham in stew beef sized pieces, throw it in a pot
with fresh green beans and quartered potatoes, add water to barely cover and
a bit of pepper, maybe some poultry seasoning, and let it simmer for a while
until the potatoes are tender and cooked through. If you let it cook for a
long time, just check it occasionally to make sure the water hasn't boiled
away. It's really good with some fresh biscuits or corn bread on the side,
and it's simple enough to be Stefan proof ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.