[Sca-cooks] gravy

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 19:07:22 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/28/2003 8:29:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:
I guess the drippings are from frying some slices of ham? I'd be
surprised there were enough drippings. But then, Adamantius did give
some useful info recently on stretching these and there is the added
butter. What kind of black coffee? Instant? Ground beans? Or are you
talking about already brewed coffee? No flour added? Just grease and
coffee? :-) I guess I'll just have to try this sometime.
Red Eye Gravy

Pan drippings from a skillet of ham or even bacon
1 cup black coffee, brewed, not instant
1/4 tspn (or more <EG>) black pepper

    Pour the coffee into the skillet containing the hot drippings. Stir but
do not allow to boil. Sprinkle the pepper into the mixture. Pour off into a
bowl or grav boat. serve hot over grits, mashed potatos, rice, corn bread, loaf
bread or biscuits. As an aside, it makes a great use for leftover coffie, if
any, from the day before.

The explanation I got was this is a reconstruction recipe, when my
Confederate ancestors made do with what little they had. But the American Civil War is
FAR OOP and frankly, likely to cause hot discussions, so I'll leave it at that.

On a related topic, I DO have ancestors (or relitives of same) who fought for
the Union side too <G>.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke