[Sca-cooks] gravy

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 19:15:38 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/28/2003 9:16:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:
This is the first I've heard of "sawmill gravy".
But this is still thickened with a starch addition. Of course if made
with milk, then I think that would violate the other requirement of
using stock or drippings. Or is there a better definition of "gravy"?
Does this use corn *meal* or corn "flour"? It would seem that using
meal would make a much coarser gravy.
All the sawmill gravy I've had was made with both milk and drippings, and
trust me, after cooking in that mixture, the corn meal is no longer coarse, if
indeed it was in the first place. I've cooked with corn meal that may as well be
called flour, it was so fine. But down here it's all called meal, YMMV.

And my friend, if you've never had sawmill gravy and biscuits, you have
missed something. If you're ever this way, let me know, and Atkins diet be damned
<G>.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke