[Sca-cooks] adding stuff to pound cake

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Sun Dec 28 18:57:23 PST 2003

>         I've tried and enjoyed the cranberry poundcake <> but now I want
advice on a new perversion - poundcake with candied  apricots.  I've eaten a
commercial version which I can't find any more, but since
> I have a whole box of c.ap. from Sunnyland Pecan Farms....  My query is -
about how much would be appropriate? The cranberries don't interfere with
the  sweetness balance of the cake; indeed, they are tart.  Adding 8-10 oz
of apricots  might make the cake VERY sweet.  Also, would I be well-advised
to cut the
> apricots in quarters before dredging with flour?
>      Thanks
>             Devra

    You know, I ALMOST made the same twist on that old favorite. {Then I
realized I had waay more baked goodies than I should have tempting the
Mistress & myself}  I was going to use  {homemade}apricot brandy  with dried
apricots.   I didn't think about the sweetness of the fruit overpowering the
cake  -- tho candied vs dried might be different.  Also, I was thinking
about cutting the fruit into quarters or pebble sized pieces.
  Maybe I'll bake mine for 12th Night, and post the results. . . . . .
Caointiarn