[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 21:11:45 PST 2003

Phlip replied to me with:
> >> (Okay, bear in mind that I haven't seen most of my family for the
> >> Official Christmas visit yet, since I was ill. This is not an Old
> >> Mother Hubbard situation here. and I don't think I'm lined up for
> any
> >> lumps of coal or anything.)
> > Ah, but thinking of this from a Scadian point of view, that coal
> would
> > be just the thing to fire up a blacksmithing forge...
> > Stefan
>
> Only if you're recreating China, or 18th century Americas. Charcoal is
> the appropriate fuel for Europe and western Asia in our period of
> study.
Or late 16th century and then certainly not universal. However, if we
are going to be picky, I said *Scadian* not *medieval*. I've seen very
few truly period looking smithies in the SCA. Generally the anvil is
the wrong type, the forge is more out of the 19th century or later,
there is often a blower rather than a bellows and the metal being
worked is more likely a steel than a wrought iron. The techniques are
often similar and the end product is similar, though.

However, there's this saying about if you get lemons, make lemonade. If
you've been bad enough to get several stockings or bags, of coal, might
as well make use of it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas