[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 29 07:52:02 PST 2003

>>>(Okay, bear in mind that I haven't seen most of my family for the
>>>Official Christmas visit yet, since I was ill. This is not an Old
>>>Mother Hubbard situation here. and I don't think I'm lined up for any
>>>lumps of coal or anything.)

How about this kind of coal, courtesy of Martha Stewart:?
This could keep you fuelled for a while. <smile>
Selene C.

Candy coal

3½ cups sugar
¾ cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon black gel-paste food coloring
5 teaspoons peppermint, cinnamon or anise extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a piece of aluminum foil large
enough to overhang the sides by about 2 inches. Set aside.

Bring sugar, corn syrup and ¾ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan
over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, and wash down sides of
pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming.

Once mixture comes to a boil and all the sugar has dissolved, clip a
candy thermometer to pan, and raise heat to high. Continue cooking
without stirring until mixture registers 300 degrees (hard-crack stage).
Remove from heat.

Carefully add food coloring, extract and baking soda; stir slowly with a
clean wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and mixture no longer
bubbles, about 2 minutes.

Pour into prepared pan, and let cool completely.

Lift foil to remove candy from pan, and transfer candy to a large
plastic bag. Use a kitchen mallet or hammer to crush candy into pieces.

Makes about 2 pounds.