[Sca-cooks] gravy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 21:59:20 PST 2003

Corwyn commented:
> All the sawmill gravy I've had was made with both milk and drippings,
> And trust me, after cooking in that mixture, the corn meal is no longer
> coarse, if indeed it was in the first place.
Okay. You mean that the cornmeal ends up disolving in the milk, and
then the two add body to the drippings to make the gravy? Maybe the
addition of milk really makes this closer to a sauce, than a gravy.
> I've cooked with corn meal that may as well be
> called flour, it was so fine. But down here it's all called meal, YMMV.
So, if you want a finer cornmeal/flour for say something like pancakes,
what do you ask for? fine cornmeal instead of just cornmeal?
> And my friend, if you've never had sawmill gravy and biscuits, you have
> missed something. If you're ever this way, let me know, and Atkins diet
> be damned <G>.
Okay, in the interests of food science and my own curiousity, I'll take
you up on that. How about Gulf Wars or Pennsic?

And I'd like to try this redeye gravy sometime. Since I don't drink
coffee and this apparently requires properly made coffee, I better
depend on someone else making this first. Otherwise I don't know how
close to the real thing would be, or whether it would be edible. Either
the coffee or the gravy.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas