[Sca-cooks] dry-cured ham source

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 05:57:53 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/28/2003 10:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phlip at 99main.com writes:

<<Suggestion- it's something done quite commonly in Ohio, which is wgere I
discovered it. Cube up your ham in stew beef sized pieces, throw it in a pot
with fresh green beans and quartered potatoes, add water to barely cover and
a bit of pepper, maybe some poultry seasoning, and let it simmer for a while
until the potatoes are tender and cooked through. >>

Ah, a slight variant on a family dish.  We usually get what's sold as a "ham
butt" - a smoked pork shoulder - and chop that up.  That goes in the pot fist,
with water to cover, and simmer for an hour or so.  Then the potatos get
added - my mom peels them before chopping, but I don't.  They are left to simmer
for a half hour or and then fresh green beans are added, and simmered for
another half hour or so.  We don't tend to add any kind of spicing to it, although
my husband usually adds pepper at the table (but then, he can't eat anything
without spicing it - lemon pepper on broccoli, barbecue sauce on almost
anything including french fries, etc).  If you let it simmer long enough, you get a
good flavor just from the ham.

Brangwayna