[Sca-cooks] maintenance questions -- feast gear

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Mon Dec 29 08:13:46 PST 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>Last fall, I managed to get appointed Shire chamberlain (just before the
>last chamberlain got sent home from Ur due to unplanned collision with a
>jeep). Yesterday being warm and sunny, I trucked over the shire storage
>unit and did the inventory. I have a couple of questions for y'all about
>group gear:
>
>- what kind of marker works best on aluminum/steel trays and bowls

An engraver.  No other marker really does the job for very long.  They
all wear off.

>- do you have a favorite grease-cutting dish soap (I now know the one we
>used at our last event didn't work, ick)?

My personal favorite is Palmolive.  Others prefer Dawn.

>- should wooden bowls with a finish on them be oiled?

With a finish, no.  Without, yes.

>- anybody have a good cheap source for those composite wood bowls or some
>other substitute for soup-sized and butter-sized wooden or cheap plastic
>bowls?

Yard Sales and Garage Sales.  (A Yard Sale is a Southern oddity
substituting for a Garage Sale.  In Texas, we called them Garage Sales.
In Atlanta, they're Yard Sales.  Otherwise, they're identical to each
other.)

>- anybody have a good idea what proportion of large to small bowls one
>should have for feastgear?

When you find out, let me know.