Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Dec 29 08:17:16 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Not exactly. The Eisental tradition is sweet Italian sausage-- all the old
> school cooks make sausage gravy that way, from Landsknecht I onward.  One
> cook, under the influence of someone else's opinions, was hunting for
> cheap plain sausage, and didn't find it. The other cooks went out and
> bought the Italian for her. She was grumpy, understandably. We were happy,
> though. (My first experiences with Sausage Gravy were with _hot_ Italian
> sausage, so the idea that only breakfast/plain sausage would do was
> WIERD. And, as I said, when we tried it with plain sausage last year, it
> just tasted bleah until we seasoned it up.)

Yankee barbarians strike again. If you guys want to call that sausage gravy,
fine. Personally, I can't think of anything more revolting. Proper sausage
gravy does need some seasonig- basicly, pepper, to taste, but comparing the
high fennel stuff you have here with properly made sausage- as Margali and I
were discussing, the flavor profile is just wrong. It might be usable for a
pasta sauce- I don't know. Frankly, the very thought has given me an upset
stomach.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.