Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Dec 29 08:38:34 PST 2003

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>Yankee barbarians strike again. If you guys want to call that sausage gravy,
>fine. Personally, I can't think of anything more revolting. Proper sausage
>gravy does need some seasonig- basicly, pepper, to taste, but comparing the
>high fennel stuff you have here with properly made sausage- as Margali and I
>were discussing, the flavor profile is just wrong. It might be usable for a
>pasta sauce- I don't know. Frankly, the very thought has given me an upset
>stomach.

I think Jadwiga has a good point, though. In both (all?) cases, the
dish is created using the sausage that's cheap locally. I think,
though, that this seems to be basically a Southern thing, and that
even if you find the dish elsewhere, Southern cooks have something of
a right to be a little authoritarian in this matter; it's part of the
"When in Rome" principle. They don't tell me how to make an egg
cream. Well, maybe Avraham might, but I'd still put him through a
blind taste test.

I also find Italian Sausage Gravy heretical (the local sausage around
here would be, what, either frankfurters or smoked boar and apple
sausage, or some other yuppie silliness; we have access to nearly
everything on the planet, but I'd use sausage with salt and pepper,
and to get really wild, a little sage).

Conversely, pasta sauce or pizza with plain breakfast sausage is
pretty grim, too, so it works both ways.

Eeee-ewww. Sausage gravy made with bangers... or canned Vienna Sausages...

Adamantius, running for the rock's bathroom facilities