Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 29 08:47:55 PST 2003

> I think Jadwiga has a good point, though. In both (all?) cases, the
> dish is created using the sausage that's cheap locally. I think,
> though, that this seems to be basically a Southern thing, and that
> even if you find the dish elsewhere, Southern cooks have something of
> a right to be a little authoritarian in this matter; it's part of the
> "When in Rome" principle.

Well, yes, if I was cooking in Meredies I'd get Meredies cooks to cook it.
:) (I've had sausage gravy at one restaurant at a buffet in Maryland, and
I didn't care for it.) But in Eisental I just let the Eisental Sausage
Gravy cooks cook it instead. :)

> I also find Italian Sausage Gravy heretical

Well, yes, but finding dried beef as a food rather than an ingredient
heretical doesn't stop me from eating Freya's jerky; and finding Italian
sausage gravy (or the PA dutch version thereof) heretical doesn't stop you
from eating and apparently liking it. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church