Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 29 09:01:23 PST 2003

> Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous: it might help to
> understand that Phlip apparently despises anything that tastes of
> anise, licorice, fennel, etc.

Understandable. I suspect that there's a gene for it-- people seem so
strongly divided into licorice vs. anti-licorice factions.

> If the above seems a little harsh (I thought it was until I thought
> about it for a few), it's probably driven more by physical revulsion
> than by conservatism or any desire to be mean.

Now, I believe that the sweet Italians sausage we use (being made in PA
Dutch Country) may be somewhat deficient in fennel; I certainly never
tasted it, even in the sausage gravy we spiced with a small amount of it.
Many people who tell me they hate anise will eat my mustard with anise in
it with evident enjoyment-- there isn't enough to register as licorice
tasting, only to give a slight sweetness to the mustard.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church