Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Dec 29 09:59:23 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous: it might help to
> > understand that Phlip apparently despises anything that tastes of
> > anise, licorice, fennel, etc.
>
> Understandable. I suspect that there's a gene for it-- people seem so
> strongly divided into licorice vs. anti-licorice factions.

If there is, I probably have it, since I seem to have every other taste
related gene. The thing is, I can get past my personal revulsion of the
flavors I dislike, to some extent, it's just when they're particularly
strong, I get upset. The sweet Italian sausage I had in Ohio was OK- not
preferred, but OK, but the stuff up here is so strongly flavored with fennel
that I can't eat it, even when R&M cut it by making it part of a meatloaf. I
had the same reaction to that cabbage with fennel you made at 12th Night a
couple years ago, A- I had to remove it from the table because it was so
strongly scented it was making me ill.

I can do cilantro in light doses, despite the fact that it tastes like soap
to me.

I'm also a taster for the chemical in cruciferous vegetables, and that
wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago, when Rob was serving cruciferous
veggies, particularly broccoli, every night for a couple of weeks. I can do
them, normally, 3-4 times a week without a problem, but after that
innundation, my tolerance was exceeded, and while I can now do a little bit
again, last night I had Rob reheat the leftover spinach for me, rather than
eat brussel sprouts (I'd have done it myself, but the kitchen is just too
small to fit two adults into).

Bell peppers are just flat nasty- I strongly suspect because they tend to be
overused in the things that people use them in, at least that's my mother's
theory, and she eats them- but I can deal with the flavor, which I still
taste, though not as strongly, in any of the hot peppers, even the milder
chiles.

But, using sweet Italian to make sausage gravy? Even thinking of the Sweet
Italian I got in Ohio, the flavor profile is just wrong, although I'll
admit, projecting the flavor of the heavily fennel laced stuff up here is
what REALLY made it sound horrible.

Think if I go to Eisaenthal again, I'll cook my own breakfast...

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.