[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Dec 29 09:15:41 PST 2003

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:

>  > You know, many would argue that a noisy or talkative roast beef would
>>  positively put most people off their food. How about one that sings
>>  in a squeaky voice, just slightly off-key? Or squeaks when you poke
>>  it with a fork?
>
>Douglas Adams, _The Restaurant at the End of the Universe_, has this to
>say:
>

>He sat down.
>The waiter approached.
>'Would you like to see the menu?' he said,
>'or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?'
>
>'Huh?' said Ford.
>'Huh?' said Arthur.
>'Huh?' said Trillian.
>'That's cool,' said Zaphod, 'we'll meet the meat.'

I always liked the fillet of dragon on the old episode of "The
Munsters", which breathed fire when you poked it with a fork. Add to
that the countless Stooge variations with live animals accidentally
ending up inside the body cavity of a turkey or some such...

I confess my actual inspiration was more a passage in some horror
novel by, IIRC, T.E.D. Klein, which featured roses that sang (I think
H.P. Lovecraft wouldn't have been ashamed to have come up with that),
and an Alexei Sayle sketch in which he plays two identical twin
French chefs, counselling viewers of their cooking TV program to
store artichokes (or was it radishes?) on a high shelf, because when
they get below 10,000 feet above sea level they begin to sing.

Adamantius