[Sca-cooks] maintenance questions -- feast gear

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Mon Dec 29 11:55:55 PST 2003

> I would also suggest thrift shops.  The ones run by charities such as
> the  Salvation Army and Goodwill tend to have a lot of miscellaneous
> kitchen gear  for dirt cheap.

In this neck of the woods in Oregon, they're usually garage sales,
sometimes yard sales (pre-made signs may have some influence), and almost
always set up on the front yard and in the driveway. More than half the
time, the garage is not used. Since I live in a college town, a typical
early summer or late summer weekend pasttime is cruising the residential
areas for said garage sale finds.

My usual sources for service are thrift stores, some discount stores,
restaurant supply stores. One of my other favourite sources is a scrap
metal yard. Institutions occasionally unload massive quantiies of food
service items as scrap metal, as well as the occasional 20-36 stock pot.
While stainless steel cafeteria trays may not work, I purchased a couple
dozen large and giant pizza trays for serving trays, which take up a lot
less room than wooden ones of the same size, and they need less care. I
paid for them by weight at scrap prices. Something like $16 or $18 at the
time.

Edouard