[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 18:23:12 PST 2003

Ah, the memories.
Yes, we had the celery (and yes, we did de-string it), at least, with scallions, radishes (we took off the top and bottom only, and I'm Scandinavian, too), pickles, and olives, for every holiday feast.  I don't recall carrot sticks, though we may have had them, and cucumber slices, if the were available then.  Whole nuts were also a big thing - bags of mixed nuts for Thanksgiving and Christmas, fresh fruit for both as well, etc.  Not to mention the creamed onions, which were served religiously for Thanksgiving and Christmas (the feasts were essentially identical), and which we kids never acquired a taste for.
These days, I skip most of the veggies listed and cook broccoli, asparagus, or string beans, and have a salad.  I never really liked lima beans...   I currently serve the raw vegetables as an appetizer, with my sister-in-law's dill dip.  they have grown, to carrots, celery, cucumber, squash, radishes, mushrooms, broccoli and/or cauliflower, grape or cherry tomatoes, green beans, etc.  Whatever's available and looks good.  (Then I happily have raw veggies for the next couple of weeks.  But the crudities and dip are special, only for holidays or meetings.)

Standard thanksgiving/Christmas menu (usually fed anywhere from 15 - 20 people):
Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy (made from pan drippings, the water the giblets were cooked in, and some flour)
mashed potatoes
acorn squash and/or sweet potatoes
succotash
peas
brussels sprouts
creamed cauliflower
creamed white onions
cranberry sauce
olives
pickles
scallions
celery
apple pie
pumpkin pie
mince meat pie
whipped cream
(I don't recall wine, but I wouldn't have been served any while growing up)
coffee
tea
(water? milk? I don't recall the beverage; it may also have been ginger ale, at least for the children)

Regards,
Brekke