[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 29 19:56:17 PST 2003

We used to eat at my maternal Grandparents in Illinois.
Anywhere between 19 and up depending on which of the
older grandchildren had "serious" friends along.
Menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Turkey with usually ham also or possibly fried chicken
(this depended on if Grandma needed to butcher chickens)
If hunting was successful, there might be grouse or pheasant
Christmas tended to be more ham and roast beef oriented,
but if there was a sale on turkeys... It might well be turkey again.
We had the traditional relish trays with all the carrots, celery etc.
That's what those clear relish plates are for.
Crackers and eventually as years passed there were even dips.
Then there were the various pickles.. usually three types.
Mashed potatoes; Gravies; Noodles; sometimes scalloped potatoes
Stuffing two types-- one had to have oysters in it.
Vegetables otherwise were home canned corn, creamed corn,
peas, green beans.
Parker house rolls in whole wheat and white. Likely to be cornbread.
Butter, jams, jellies, honey and sorghum syrup.
Salads were almost always some sort of jell-o combination
like orange and grated carrot or the lemon one with 7-up and grated
cheese. or black cherry one.
Desserts--- the fresh fruits and nuts in bowls--- with nutcrackers that
didn't work well...
Pies--- cherry, pecan, squash, pumpkin
Sheet cakes possible or angel food cakes
There was usually divinity and candies at Christmas and always
awful sugar cookies (the cookies she made were just awful and she used
the same batter as base for all the varieties so the chocolate chip
tasted like
the sugar and the raisin.)

Johnnae llyn Lewis