Sausage gravy- was Re: [Sca-cooks] gravy

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 20:37:29 PST 2003

OK,

I have been mostly ignoring this thread, but then I saw the part about
Italian Sausage and had to read the whole thing. It is very interesting to
see the different opinions on this, and funny at times.

Being a Southerner I have definite opinions on this subject, but they are
mine and everyone is entitled to their own. Being from the part of the south
that I am from we have a very narrow definition of what constitutes
"Southern", South Carolina just squeaks in under the border - but North
Carolina? it says North right in the name! (please take this as intended -
mostly toungue in cheek ;).

I was a bit confused about the discussion of Sausage Gravy being bland, it
has been awhile since I have eaten it (it falls into the category of love it
but hooo boy that's some fat) but I have eaten it for a long time, and bland
is not a adjective I would use for it. I believe that there is variation
even in the way that Southerner's prepare it.

Most SG that I have eaten falls just inside my top range of tolerance level
for spices, granted I have a wussy palate, but bland? So, my only conclusion
is the sausage used to prepare it must be drastically different. If you
would like to try the SG that I am familiar with I would reccomend you track
down some Tennesee Pride Hot Sausage. They have a web site, I don't know if
they ship: http://www.tnpride.com/Page1.asp .

If anyone is desperate for it, I may be able to concoct a way to ship it to
you. It is prepared the ways that have been described, with plenty of black
pepper.

Well, there was my .02 take it for what it is worth.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

And yes Master A - whiteness is highly desireable in SG.