[Sca-cooks] garlic and horseradish

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 20:56:54 PST 2003

> Serena da Riva commented:
> > I have made a garlic sauce that would take your eybrows off.
> Stefan> And the recipe is?

I am sorry Stefan, I have been out of town and I missed this question. I am
afraid that there is no recipe. It was at an event and I had some time (and
lots of pre-peeled garlic) on my hands. I decided to make a sauce. So I
ground up some grains of paradise and some long pepper. I added a hefty
handful of garlic cloves then added some stock and bread crumbs that I had
around. Add a handy-dandy wand blender and process until smooth.

I then sent someone for some bread and could not con anyone else into
tasting it. So I dipped out a very small amount and had barely touched it to
my tongue when my entire head exploded. I literally spit it out and started
calling for water going uuuuk uuuk uuuuk! I then had no shortage of people
who wanted to try it. They would dip in a piece of bread and taste it and go
arrrrrgh and I would say - why did you do that, did you not just see my head
explode.

So, looking at the ingredients I had available I thought about how to knock
it back a bit. I took it to the range and put it in a sauce pan, added alot
more stock and bread crumbs. Still inedible, what cuts heat???? Dairy, so in
went some extra butter and I cooked it awhile more. I still couldn't eat it
but others pronounced it wonderful.

I poured it all into a dish and sent it around with a server to see if
anyone wanted any with the pork remove. I announced that it was not for the
faint hearted and that it had period ingredients but I had made it up as an
experiment and would not be held responsible for consequences. There were
quite a few people who thought it was great. It ended up on the pork, on the
mushroom pie, on the chicken....

There was alot left over, but it all found homes. I had someone come up to
me at an event several months later and tell me she had taken it home and
her husband had been eating on it for at least a month.

Glad Tidings,
Serena