[Sca-cooks] New SCA member

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 05:28:30 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/31/2003 1:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vhsjvs at gis.net writes:

<<I am Angharad ferch Iorwerth, a new SCA member.  I have joined this list
because I love to cook and wish to learn as much as I can of cooking styles in
the MA.  Since my persona is that of a Welsh woman in the 13th Century, I would
of course want to learn as much as I can about cooking methods, tools,
utensils, meats, vegetables, seasonings, beverages (other than mead), etc.>>

Hi, Angharad!  I'm Brangwayna Morgan, and my persona is an Englishwoman from
12th century Shrewsbury - not so far away from you, but a century earlier.
Finding recipes for this time period isn't particularly easy - I don't know
of many 12th or 13th century sources from even Northern Europe, much less just
England or just Wales.  What I've been doing has been working primarily with
14th and 15th century English and French sources, with the Forme of Cury (lates
1300's English) kind of turning out to be a favorite - every time I pick a
period recipe that I want to use for something, just mundanely, it turns out to
be from Forme of Cury!  Most of the available ingredients should be the same,
with the exception possibly of some of the more exotic spices.

Brangwayna