[Sca-cooks] OOP: Play about a famous chef

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Dec 31 08:58:15 PST 2003

Also sprach James Prescott:
>Greetings,
>
>Of interest, though perhaps of no practical use to most, "The Old
>Trout Puppet Workshop" in Calgary, Canada, will be presenting a
>new work entitled "The Last Supper of Antonin Carême" from Jan 28
>through Feb 21 2004.

Careme is someone every cook should read at least
some of; he is pretty much the first real modern
chef to leave extensive written material (some
would say this is actually La Varenne, and he's
important, but Careme marks the beginning of the
great restaurant chefs, rather than the great
household chefs; while he himself is known as a
household chef, he began what later became known
as the brigade system refined by Escoffier and
applied as an industrial standard).

His recipes are long and complex, but read like
symphonies, and I will carry his heart-rending
cry to Heaven for the cooks around him that are
slowly dying of what appears to be carbon
monoxide poisoning [from coal-fired stoves], with
me, to my own grave.

Adamantius