[Sca-cooks] Venison stock?

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 11:56:50 PST 2003

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
>  I was wondering a)  if one can make stock from venison,

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  Bambi bones rock for stock.

> b) the suggested method for doing so,

Depends on your chosen answer to question c.  Any method you'd use for beef
or veal should work just fine with venison.

> c) what one might eventually use the said stock for.

What do you like with dark stocks?  If you've only got one roast, you
probably can't make enough stock for a proper demi-glace (which would be
great for hearty sauces), but you certainly could get enough to do a
wonderful beef stew, more chili, duck and sausage gumbo, cassoulet, or do a
clarified stock (would it still be classed as consomme?) for any number of
nice soups (spicy pasta and bean, smoked pork and veggies, the possibilities
are endless).

-Lorenz