[Sca-cooks] Visit to Portland Oregon

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Wed Dec 31 20:46:17 PST 2003

> Ashland (home of the Oregon Shakespearean Festival) 5 hr in good
> weather. San Francisco/Bay Area, 11hr (also in good weather- the passes
> were closed  yesterday and most of today)
> Seattle, 2 1/2-3 hr
> Victoria BC, 8 hr, depending on ferry schedule.

Given recent weather, I don't recommend driving past Ashland. Interstate 5
just south of it (a 4000' pass) was snowed in and closed for 19 hours
Sunday/Monday. And if one is new to driving, I wouldn't recommend going
that far. About 3 1/2 hours south of Portland gets into the Siskiyou/South
Cascade range, with curves and hills/passes. Not recommended for new
drivers on holiday. There's plenty to see and do in the Portland/Vancouver
metro area without spending all day on an interstate. And much safer in the
winter.

Edouard