[Sca-cooks] Visit to Portland Oregon

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Wed Dec 31 19:49:42 PST 2003

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig! Now that I know that you are a flatlander, I should
warn you that the coastal area is NOT flat. It mostly looks like those pictures
of San Francisco. What you need to understand is that the roads are generally
quite good and that you should stay in the right hand lane. Please, please,
please, please do not drive in the left hand lane. It tends to upset people
who are trying to drive in the opposite direction.

Hopefully your car will come with chains. You put them on your tyres at
the sign telling you to put them on, and you take them off at the sign
that tells you take them off. However, you can generally avoid that sort
of that sort of problem by staying below 500 meters above sea level.

There is a fairly new street car system with dedicated lanes in downtown
Portland and there are commuter buses and the train mentioned by someone
else in the Portland area. You should be able to make it to Powell's, OMSI
and the Zoological Gardens. However, the West Coast is not really set up for
mass transit only people. It used to be a LOT better. When my parents were
young, there were excursion trains to most important tourist destinations.
But, a lot of those tracks have been ripped up and the trains are long gone.

Most people from the PNW are quite proud of the region. Someone will
probably offer to take you out to Multnomah Falls and maybe all the
way to Maryhill. You should accept any such offers.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |