[Sca-cooks] Trichinosis

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Feb 7 08:13:19 PST 2003

Nick Sasso skrev:

> If the trichinosis in Bear behaves the same as the one that potentially
> infests pork, then it will die in the 136F temperature range.  160F
> would be a little excessive if the goal were simply to kill the little
> beasties.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/trichinella.html
http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulletins/docs/b2000_18.htm

2. T. nativa in Alaska bear and walrus meat is cold-resistant. Unlike pork,
freezing arctic meat will NOT kill larval cysts. Bear or walrus meat is safe
once the entire piece is completely cooked to a gray color. USDA recommends
attaining an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Microwaving may not
render meat safe as cooking may be uneven.

Y'all do what you want to. I have given you fair warning according to the
current medical literature. After that, you're on your own.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,