[Sca-cooks] Coleworts

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Feb 23 21:29:18 PST 2003

Ok, so it's been a long, lazy weekend...

I had gotten frustrated with my inability to find "Herbs and Roots, to
Boil or to Butter" from Tusser's 500 points of good husbandry, online. So
I transcribed the whole herb section myself and will put it up on my site
as soon as I can HTML it.

Anyway, I noticed that he mentions Coleworts and Cabbage in the same list
(also Navews, Rape and turnips, but that's another question). Hm... I
said, I thought Coleworts were cabbage. Well, not to Tusser, not in 1571.

I check my edition of Hyll's Gardener's Labyrinth, and the glossary by
Richard Mabey says Coleworts are cabbage. So then I look at what Hyll
says, and it's confusing.

I follow that with Parkinson (1621) because he's usually helpful, and I
get the same glazed feeling I usually get in the greens aisle at the Farm
Market. I still can't figure it out.

I can't find my Gerard's _Herbal_. (How can you lose a book the size of a
small end table? Well, in my case, my mom helped me clean. Nuff said.)

So, if someone can help me sort this out, here's the Parkinson stuff, and
the Hyll stuff, and HELP!