[Sca-cooks] Re: Cake Class

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 24 17:11:22 PST 2003

Selene wrote:
>We're mostly making flowers by extruding substances through a
pastry bag.
>As I understand it, sugar plate is mainly sculpted or molded with
in a mold made
>of wood or other hard substances.  The fondant class we're doing on
Thursday
>seems to be closer to this than the other class is.  I really need
to see sugar
>plate done right before I try it, just so I know what I'm shooting
for.

Selene is correct.  Royal icing flowers, while eventually hard like
gum paste, aren't the same thing.  Fondant is like gum paste.  An
observation of mine:  Fondant, pastillage, gum paste, Mexican gum
paste all seem to be basically the same thing.  There are variations
in some of the ingredients, such as an added fat.  But generally,
one can form objects by hand, with cutting tools, or in molds, from
any of those.

Alys Katharine