[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Cock-a-leekie soup reference

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 12:00:31 PST 2003

I got this question and there are some interesting
items. One is "Cock-a-Leekie" being dated to Elizabeth.
I figure that Cock-a-Leekie soup would be considered
a porridge if it were thicker. There are some references
to sops and such with just meat and onions which is
basically all this is. But does anyone know of a period
reference to it? The earliest I've found is Victorian.

Also, what is this "ma-leachi"? I don't know Scottish
so it could be a reference to that.

Thanks for the help,

Gunthar