[Sca-cooks] My dinner for the Royals at Estrella

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 15:00:50 PST 2003

I must admit that I helped with the mushrooms, and also didn't notice that we hadn't trimmed them.  They were very good, though.
Mordonna
 Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:I was asked by His Majesty Atenveldt to make a little
camp dinner for Theirselves and some guests at Estrella.
They evidently hired a different cook to do a meal every
night. I thought it was just basically cooking for the
camp so I made just some plain simple mundane food.
I figured it being the last day of the War everyone would
be tired of really fancy dishes so I just made basic camp
food. Much to my surprise it was for special guests and
served in the Royal Dining Hall and all that rot.

But here is what I prepared. I knew it was going to be at
the end of a lot of fighting and sunlight so I wanted
some pickled stuff to satisfy that salt/sour desire that
fighters get. Also, Her Majesty eats very little meat and
then just fish or fowl so I wanted to suit the menu to
Her.

I was originally going to make a Tart Dijon but decided to
go simpler as an appetizer.

First Course
Vegetarian Dolmas (rice, mint, soy sauce, spices and honey
wrapped in grape leaves and placed in a
vinegarette)
Antipasti Salad (swiss cheese, artichoke hearts, tomatoes,
purple onions, salami, green peppers, pitted
black olives in Italian Dressing)
Ciabatta Bread

Second Course
Grilled Portabellas (Just salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic
wrapped in aluminum foil and placed on the
grill.)
Assorted Grilled Sausages (Bratwurst, Polish, Chicken & Apple,
Chicken & Basil from a very good
butcher)
Sautee'd Greens Salad (Spinach, Kale, fried potatoes, fresh
tomato, garlic, onions, toasted sesame oil,
balsamic vinegar)
over
Parmesan Polenta

Dessert
Homemade Shortcakes with berry compote and homemade whipped cream.

I'd also made a couple types of mustards as well as Maille mustard.

The meal was not only served on time but I let TRM know that it
would be served as soon as They got their guests together.
When everyone sat down they were absolutely starving and when they
left they were complaining that they were too full to eat all of it.

I was a bit worried because nothing went wrong. And something
ALWAYS goes wrong. I didn't figure it out until I brought some
leftovers home. Only then did I realize I'd forgotten to trim
the stems of the portabellas. I got a big chunk of dirt in my
first bite. D'oh!

But otherwise everything went well. This was all done on a
camp grill and two-burner Coleman stove. Well, and I cheated
and made the shortcakes at home.

Gunthar

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook