[Sca-cooks] 1421

Mary Morman mem at rialto.org
Wed Feb 26 05:35:46 PST 2003

I've just become aware of a book called " 1421: The YearChina Discovered
America".

The gentleman who is reviewing it for me for Serve it Forth! says that:
" The author presents a pretty compelling case, with evidence from a
wide range of sources.  He also posits that it was the Chinese who were
initially responsible for the dissemination of many New World crops,
such as hot peppers and maize.  It will force a radical rethinking of
early-modern history in all the textbooks (in my opinion)."

One review on amazon calls it "lightly footnoted, heavily speculative".
 Another says:  "why we weren't told earlier-why did I spend so many
years drinking at the fountain of English, Spanish, Dutch and Portugese
'discovery'?"

Has anyone else heard of this or read it?

Elaina

--
To be humble to superiors is duty,
  to equals courtesy,