[Sca-cooks] On eating Birds of Prey OT/OOP

Susan slpatch at mfire.com
Fri Feb 28 09:14:49 PST 2003

Good gentles,

Pardon my interjecting at this point, I am an inveterate lurker here, however
some of my friends and I on another list were discussing this and I thought
some of the people on this list might find the subject mildly interesting.

Please excuse the OOP references and excessive bandwidth.

I have experience with the cooking and eating of a bird of prey. Specifically
an eagle. This happened several years ago in Oertha, and was the strange
result of happening to be right behind a large truck which struck a Bald
Eagle. My former spouse decided it was a shame to leave the bird on the road,
and being freshly killed he further decided it was a prime opportunity to see
how they taste.

I refused to have anything to do with it - on several grounds, not the least
of which was a distinct suspicion that even possessing the thing is illegal (I
was in the military at the time) and just downright unpatriotic to eat it!
Spouse persevered however and sliced and sauteed the breastmeat in butter. My
contribution was to suggest that might not be the best way to cook it.

Of the other two people (both SCA) who actually tried it both concluded it did
not "taste like chicken", was very tough, chewy, and had a distinct "fishy"
flavor (well, duh - they eat ALOT of salmon)

So there, FWIW, is an account of eating eagles, not something I would condone.
Did I mention this was a FORMER spouse? He also once roasted a muskrat,
another thing I don't recommend - nasty, rancid tasting beasts. (yes, I did
taste that)

Please pardon the intrusion and I'll go back to lurking now.

Lady Wilhelmina, who has eaten some strange crawly things in survival training
- but NEVER tasted an Eagle.

Lady Wilhelmina Catharin de Rochelle, House RavenOak