[Sca-cooks] Millet question

Fri Feb 28 11:11:47 PST 2003

Millet is a fairly common grain originally grown in China and Ethiopia from
about 2000 BCE on.  There are about 60 species of panic grasses I am aware
of and there may be more.  The two most commonly mentioned are panic
(Panicum capillare or Panicum italicum) and millet (probably Proso millet,
Panicum miliaceum).  They were eaten by both man and beast.  While wheat and
barley are common for bread, millet makes decent polenta and porridge.

Sesame, millet, panic, wheat and barley are mentioned together in Xenophon's
Anabasis, Charlemagne directs the planting of both millet and panic in the
Capitulare de villis and Columbus refers to maize as a form of millet in his
Diario.  Considering those three sources, you are looking at a span of 1900
years where the grain was known and used.

Jose de Acosta in his Historia natural y moral de las Indias of 1590 states,
"...for they have no kind of wheat, barley, millet, panic grass, or any
grain such as is used in Europe to make bread. Instead they have other kinds
of grains and roots, among which maize, called Indian wheat in Castile and
Turkey grain in Italy, holds the first place."

That kinda what you lookin' fer.

Bear