[Sca-cooks] To make Jumballs

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 09:53:36 PST 2003

From: England, 17th century | SOURCE: Archimagirus Anglo-Gallicus; Or, Excellent & Approved Receipts and Experiments in Cookery, 1658
To make Jumballs.
Take a pound of fine flower, a pound and a half of sugar beaten and searsed, six egs, taking away two egs, two or three spoonfuls of rose-water, two spoonfuls of cream. Put your egges, cream, and rose-water together, and put them over the fire, and stirre it till it be something hot, then mingle the flower and sugar, and that together, and make paste of it somewhat stiffe, then put in a pretty quantity of anniseeds being rubbed and fanned clean, and so make them up in Jumballs.

I would disagree strongly with the redactions given below.  The original given above clearly states to mix the dry ingredients, and the liquid ingredients separately, to heat the liquids, then mix into the dry.  It says nothing about beating the egg whites and folding them into the dry ingredients, then adding the cream and rosewater.  This would make a rather noticeable difference in the texture of the finished cookies.  It also does not mention butter, mace, or caraway at all.

Mordonna

 Robert Downie <rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:Is she thinking of jumballs? They are a cookie rolled out into thin ropes and
twisted into knots, letters, figures, etc.

Here's the redaction from _Sallets Humbles and Shrewsbury Cakes_
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp anisseed
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp rosewater
Approx 1 T water

Sift flour sugar and salt into a bowl. Add the anised to the flour, rubbing it
between your hands to release the flavour. Beat the egg whites till stiff and
flod them carefully into the flour mixture. Add the rosewater and just enough
water to make a workable dough. With floured hands, shape the dough into long
rools. Shape the rolls into letters and figures. Place on a greased cookie
sheet and prick them with a fork for decoration. Bake the cookies in a preheated
350 degree oven for 10 - 15minutes or until done but not browned. Remove to a
rack immediately. The cookies are best fresh, but will keep well in a tightly
covered jar for a couple of weeks. Yield about 10 large cookies. (we used these
to make snailshells for our sausage snails - inspired by Olwen's escargo from a
couple of months ago).

Peter Brears also has a redaction in _Banquetting Stuffe_

1 1/2 oz butter
1 T rosewater
4 oz sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp ground mace
1 tsp aniseed
1 tsp caraway seed
8 oz flour

Beat the butter with the rosewater; then cream with the sugar. Mix in the beaten
and spices, then wqork in the flour to make a soft dough. Make into long rolls
about 1/4" in diameter, and form into knots, rings, or plaited strips, etc before
baking on a lightly greased baking sheet for15 - 20 min at 350 degrees.

If anyone wants the unredacted originals, just ask and I can send send them too.
I'm just a really slow, two finger typist so haven't included them here for
conveinience and speed's sake.

I also seen to recall a Spanish(?) version of a boiled, then baked pastry in the
florilegium - rosquilas (sp) I think, but they are probably more bagel like than
pretzel like.

As for the rock candy, there are various references to moulded sugar scuptures
with the sugar cooked to the hard crack stage (again, from leafing through my
brand spanking new copies of Banquetting Stuffe and All the King's Cooks). I
suppose you could use commercial hard candy molds for hard sugar candy.

Faerisa

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> --
> Passing along two questions from shire members not on the list:
>
> 1. Our A&S mistress believes that she has seen a recipe for pretzels from
> within our period of study, but cannot find it again. She'd like to give it
> to our mistress of children to use with the kids in a newly formed children's
> activity group. Can anyone point me to such a beast?
>
> 2. I seem to remember someone saying something about rock candy being
> donelate in our period of study. Does anyone have anything on that? That
> would also be a good thing to do with kids.
>
> Brangwayna

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt