[Sca-cooks] To make Jumballs

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 2 15:13:26 PST 2003

Jumbals vary widely from source to source and recipe
to recipe. I would suggest that anyone wanting to know
about jumbals and their origins and such changes ought to
take a look at Hess's commentary in Martha Washington's
Booke of Cookery. She provides a number of details as
well as noting that the Booke of Sweetmeates contains
4 differing recipes for them in just that one manuscript.

Just as a bibliographer's note--
Given the interesting problems associated with the
Archimagirus A-G and its history, one might well consider
in this case that source as somewhat less than
straight forward. Are you working with the actual volume
in facsimile or someone else's transcription for instance?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway