: [Sca-cooks] OT: Space Shuttle disintegrates on landing approach

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Feb 2 16:13:04 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> "Ya know I have noticed that this is the general reaction to this Shuttle
> Occurance.First shock, then maybe tears, and then we get on with our
day..."

You know, I honestly don't understand all this shock and tears about the
deaths of complete strangers- I honestly don't. I'm not being funny, and I'm
not saying people should or shouldn't feel that way, or any way, I just
simply don't understand it. There are so many tragic deaths, each and every
day, from war and torture, from starvation and disease, what makes these
deaths different? If you were to mourn each of them this way, you'd be a
basket case. Please, try to explain it to me.

Me, I'm just glad it was 7 instead of 17 or 70. And, I hope no one was hurt,
or will be hurt, by the debris. And, I most sincerely hope that it doesn't
shut the space program down- it has given us far too much, not just in
dreams, but in technology and learning. I'm just afraid that the cutbacks in
finance might be why the shuttle crashed- not enough money for proper
maintenance.

On a somewhat less somber note, I was very interested in the final paragraph
of the NYT article this AM. It said:

Colonel Ramon, had little room to take personal items on the flight, but he
did lift off with a piece of Holocaust-era art: a small black-and-white
drawing called "Moon Landscape" that he had borrowed from the Yad Vashem Art
Museum in Israel. The drawing, by Peter Ginz, a 14-year-old Jewish boy
killed at Auschwitz in 1944, was a picture by a child who dreamed of faraway
places and sketched what he thought the Earth would look like from the
mountains of the moon.

This morning, nearly 60 years later, it was incinerated over the skies of
Texas.

For all that we have lost this battle, as that young boy lost his, I think
we're winning the War- Look how far his dreams have risen.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,