: [Sca-cooks] OT: Space Shuttle disintegrates on landing approach

Marilyn Hillvic marion_of_rustedw at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 14:55:22 PST 2003

"Ya know I have noticed that this is the general reaction to this Shuttle
Occurance.First shock, then maybe tears, and then we get on with our day..."

Nichola, I had the same shock, tears, and sadness in my heart for the loss of the families and because I believe in the exploration of space. When I called my daughters upstairs (they're 10 and 11) to explain to them what had happened, we hugged and they drew some lessons from our history. My husband and I used the words "The shuttle program is like Magellon's voyage". Then my 11 year old's eyes grew very large and with wisdom beyond her years she said "only 13 of the crew of Magellon made it home alive to tell the story." So we discussed how someday, perhaps in 500 years, space travel will be safe for everyone and routine. But the courage and conviction of those who are doing these early yearns of space travel will be remembered. We will not forget those who have fallen in these early years, but will remember them, and turn our eyes to the future, as they who perished in the shuttle would have wanted us to do: to continue their life's work and not lose the dream.

              --Marion