[Sca-cooks] blue food coloring

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 3 19:30:46 PST 2003

Edouard Halidai declared:
> On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 12:34 AM, Nambeanntan at aol.com wrote:
>> doc at medievalcookery.com writes:
>>> indigo (is indigo food safe? the indigo dye vat my wife uses certainly
>>> doesn't smell like anything I'd want near food)
>> indigo is fermented in stale urine, it's your call
>
> I think my wife was using lye instead.  Neither one sounds very
I believe lye is used in the processing of various food items. Lutefisk and

either pretzels or bagels come to mind.
And if you don't wish to use that stale urine you have sitting around

for making that period food color, you might check out this file in
the Florilegium:

urine-uses-msg     (6K) 10/ 6/99    Period uses of animal and human urine.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/urine-uses-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com