[Sca-cooks] Needing Help with Serving a Feast....

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 19:27:48 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/4/2003 7:45:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kattratt at charter.net writes:

> AS far as time I would imagine that is is early period say around 1200's
> I think... Corwyn (Knew that'd get your attention) what era does Sir
> Richard study the most?   He is the person that I was talking with.
>
>   I assume that it was England because I can't imagine him breaking out
> from that unless it was France for studying for Feast of Thirty... so I
> would think those two.

The following are _my_ recollections and opinions....

During the Hundred Year's War (Yes, correct, between England and France)...
at one point I could have told you the year right off the top of my head...
but it was the early 1400's I THINK.

I did a quick online search for the "Battle of the Thirty" and came up with
zilch essentially.

A thumbnail account is that the English held the Town of Ploermel France and
the French laid siege to it. Rather than have a big battle where everybody
gets hurt they chose their best Knights of both sides and thirty guys from
each side met and fought. The French won the day. The battle is commemorated
as one of the most Chivalric events in the Middle Ages... even though there
were insults galore and eventually the English line had to be broken by one
of the French Knights going and getting his warhorse (Both lines were on
foot) to ride through BOTH lines to break the English. Of course, the
Medieval ideal of Chivalry and the SCA's are often shown to be two different
things.

Go figure. I'll keep looking, it's just been years.

Corwyn

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)