[Sca-cooks] noodles OOP

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Feb 5 15:29:08 PST 2003

Also sprach Nick Sasso:
>This sounds like a job for Stroganoff Man!  Seriously, this looks like
>a perfect fit . . . tender beef chunks, paprika, onions, savory sauce
>and a good, dense noodle.

Paprika? And no mushrooms? Any chance you're doing some kind of
porkolt/paprikas/gulyas fusion in your head?

I believe the classic French dish (which, while Russian inspired,
does not appear to actually _be_ Russian) involves, IIRC, the beef
(tenderloin, ideally, but I like to use thinly-sliced flank, sauteed
rare) with mushroom and onions, deglazed with red wine (sometimes a
brown sauce is added, or some kind of thickener), finished with sour
cream.

One thing I'm finding interesting about this rye noodle thread (not
that I'm complaining, mind you) is that people seem to be associating
the flavor of the noodles with that of sourdough rye. Plain rye pasta
has a rather different flavor; not necessarily incompatible, just
different.

To add to this whole Eastern-European thing, there's a Russian dish
which involves noodles tossed with sauteed cabbage (shredded), and, I
think, onion? Heaven help me, but the only obvious source I can
recall for this is one of Jeff Smith's books... digs through
bookshelves... Halusky?

Adamantius