[Sca-cooks] Re:New to list

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:46:04 PST 2003

>On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 12:55 PM, Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>>
>>On that note, I'd like to point out that more and more Americans are
>>being
>>hit by Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.  This "sensitivity" can cause
>>things
>>as simple as slight breathing problems, to full fledged asthma
>>attacks, or
>>seizures.  It can be triggered by a perfume, or other scented products.
>>
>>I would beg y'all to be careful about that.  If you *must* put perfume
>>on,
>>put only a little.
>>
>>For more info:
>>http://www.ilru.org/ilnet/files/manuals/MCS.txt
>

>... and for information to the contrary:
>
>http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mcs.html
>
>Disclaimer:  I do not have any experience with MCS or MCS patients.  I
>do know people who have severe allergies or food intolerances.  I have
>heard and do believe how serious allergic reactions can be, and how
>uncomfortable food intolerances can be.  I do not mean to imply that
>all symptoms of MCS are "fake", and encourage anyone who experiences
>what they believe to be an allergic reaction to seek the advice of a
>medical professional.  The above link is provided in the spirit of
>educational debate, and does not necessarily represent my opinions
>(which are still forming and are open to change).

Oh.  Yeah.  Good one there.
Um..just make sure and introduce yourself as soon as you see me so I know
who the heck to stay away from when I go down with an asthma attack because
of a fragrance or chemical smell.
Look, I cann't help that my body has decided to become it's own worst enemy.
  I didn't go looking for that.   As an adult I have become sensitive to
everything from fragences to nickel, with a few odd food things tossed in
the mix.  I don't know why.  What I do know is that, by and large, most of
those things won't kill me, at least not quickly.  That is, EXCEPT for my
asthma.  I don't go around being weird about it.  I don't go around being a
pain and a baby and telling people to cater to my 'illness'.  I don't cop
out on stupid stuff like that.  I keep going till I fall out then I deal
with it.  Some days and circumstances are worse than others.  For instance,
tonight it is snowing here.  The air pressure and moisture content and
temperature all contribute to my ability to breath.  Tonight, in here, I am
fine.  Outside I am more suseptible to other input that could cause an
asthma attack.
Oh well.  This is a cooks list.  I am sorry I went off.
For dinner tonight I had two shots of Frangelica and a chicken leg.
How about you guys?
Olwen