[Sca-cooks] Cooking Bear

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Feb 7 00:15:31 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have been offered some bear meat by a fellow scadian, but I am not sure
how to prep or cook the dang thing. Not really into having "Smokey" for
dinner but I am thinking of deep freezing it and serving it at high table in
March. Are there any period recipes for bear meat.  I know that Le Menagier
de Paris has a brief passage on "How to make Beef taste like Bear" but
that's the extent of anything I have seen on the subject. Any suggestions?

> Lavender

Bear meat, unfortunately IS subject to trichinosis, so it does require
thorough cooking, like pork used to before our pig herds were cleaned up.

As a general rule, most pork recipes (old-style) are appropriate for bear. I
would most likely use a wet cooking style, since because it needs to be
cooked well-done, you'll want to try to retain the moisture- a braised
roast, or a pot roast of some sort.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,