[Sca-cooks] Cooking Bear

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Feb 7 07:11:37 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
> > I have been offered some bear meat by a fellow scadian, but I am
not sure
> how to prep or cook the dang thing.<SNIP>
> > Lavender

> From: "Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com>
> Bear meat, unfortunately IS subject to trichinosis, so it does
require
> thorough cooking, like pork used to before our pig herds were cleaned
up.

> As a general rule, most pork recipes (old-style) are appropriate for
bear. I
> would most likely use a wet cooking style, since because it needs to
be
> cooked well-done,<SNIP>
> Phlip

If the trichinosis in Bear behaves the same as the one that potentially
infests pork, then it will die in the 136F temperature range.  160F
would be a little excessive if the goal were simply to kill the little
beasties.

I would suggest looking at the physiology of the meat you are planning
to cook and treat it as you would other meats in terms of moist versus
dry heat.  Large, single muscled cuts would likely be appropriate for
dry heat like roasting.  Cuts with connective tissues, like beef chuck,
and is more often used by the bear, would serve for moist heat like
braising.   Ribs could be a combination and/or slow grilled.  Dry it to
make bear jerky, if you can get enough of the fat off.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco