[Sca-cooks] Trichinosis

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Feb 7 09:16:36 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> As I cannot access that site from my work internet connections.  Is
> there anything provided for non-Arctic bears?  The statement you
> provided says Arctic meat cannot have cysts killed by freezing.  Does
> the common Black Bear found in North Georgia or Montana the same thing
> in their literature?  We don't get the Alaskan T. nativa around here,
> but people eating Black Bear is not uncommon.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

This is from the Wisconsin Dept of Health and Human Services:

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/955156827.html

What can be done to prevent the spread of trichinosis?

The best prevention is to make sure that pork and wild game meat products
are properly cooked. The desirable internal temperature is at least 150°F.
Storing infected meat in a freezer with a temperature of -13°F or lower for
10 days will also destroy the parasite. Utensils used for processing pork
and wild game meat should be thoroughly cleaned before using them for other
meats.

Information provided by the
Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services

If you have a freezer that will maintain a temp of -13 for 10 days, you
might be OK, but, IIRC, home freezers don't usually attain and maintain that
temperature. I suspect you'd need a commercial one.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,