[Sca-cooks] Things I'm making for Estrella

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 08:21:38 PST 2003

I was planning my menu for what I was going to cook at
Estrella. I have to admit it got me kind of mopey because
for the first time in a while I'll be cooking for just
myself. I will at least have a couple of friends coming
from Ansteorra that I've promised to make a couple of meals
for. But it's just not the same not cooking for my lady
and a couple of campmates.

Anyway, here are the things I was thinking about making.
Nothing period, I'm afraid, I just haven't taken the time
to look anything up.

Carnitas and Chicken burritos
(The Crown of Ansteorra may dine with me some night and
he only eats fowl or fish, so I have to make sure there's something
for him. The picky fink.)

Simmer a pork roast with salt, pepper, garlic, jalapeno for
a couple of hours until it falls apart. Put in tupperware.
On site warm the pork and some roasted chicken.
Warm tortillas.
Make a pot of refried beans.
Chop lettuce, tomato, avacado, onion.
Open salsa and cheese.
Everyone makes their own.

Friday
Penne pasta with vodka cream sauce
Cook pasta at home and store.
In camp heat the pasta in warm water.
Take a skillet and add oil, butter, garlic and chopped shallots.
Simmer until soft then add about a cup of vodka.
Reduce by half.
Add chicken stock and and a can of crushed tomatoes.
Simmer for a while and add salt and pepper.
When it reduces a bit, add cream.
Add pasta and chopped fresh basil.

Serve with ciabbata bread and olive oil as well as
a salad of romaine, artichoke hearts, mushrooms in balsamic
vinegarette.

(Stolen from Rachel Rey on "Thirty Minute Meals")

Saturday
Hot salad with grilled lamb.
Grill lamb over charcoal with herbs.
Fry boiled baby potatoes in olive oil and garlic.
Remove the potatoes and add a bit more oil. Sautee
old bread in oil to make croutons.
Remove croutons and add kale and spinach to the pan.
Sautee mushrooms and greens until greens are wilted.
Add chopped tomato, lamb, croutons and dress with a
bit of balsamic vinegar and toasted sesame oil.

Sunday
Royal Camp dinner.
The Crown of Atenveldt will be hosting around 13 people
for dinner on Sunday. I decided to fix nice simple
foods because they will probably be tired of fancy stuff.
The Queen also rarely eats meat and prefers fish or fowl.

Dijon Tart
Put 12 inch pie shell in pan and paint the bottom with a
good dijon mustard. Sautee onions and tomatoes with Herbes
de Provence until thick and onions are soft.
Put them in the shell and top with herbed goat cheese. Bake
and store. Warm the tart on site.

Grilled Portabellas
Oil portabella mushrooms and add salt, pepper & garlic. Place
on grill until soft.

Grilled assorted sausages.

Warm greens. Basically the stir-fried greens without the lamb.
Served over soft polenta.

Dessert of homemade shortcakes with berry compote and whipped
cream. Or I may make a cheesecake.

That's my War. I will probably hit the Food Court at least
once and I don't know what I'm doing for breakfast and lunch
right now.

Gunthar