[Sca-cooks] Why no alcohol?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Feb 7 09:29:59 PST 2003

At 08:33 AM 2/7/03 -0800, you wrote:
>--
>
>I have heard about not sending goodies made with alcohol into Islamic
nations. I know it has/had something to do with alcohol being banned. My
question is, would our goodies be sent somewhere in the US and shipped by
military transport to bases overseas? Or would we be trying to mail things
individually?  Besides, its difficult to tell whether vanilla extract or
vanilla sugar was used to make the cookies after they are baked.

I think the warning had more to do with things like Rum Balls and such.
Vanilla is not likely to be an issue. And where it's mailed from isn't the
point- but possession is. Our troops will have plenty to worry about in
trying not to offend in an already prickly situation. Let's not cause them
any further discomfort.

'Lainie