[Sca-cooks] re: Why no alcohol?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Feb 7 09:15:31 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
 Nick Sasso <NJSasso at msplaw.com> wrote:
Cool ideas. Toilet paper, soap, and goodies. Alcohol based ones might
cause trouble in the Islamic nations.   pacem et bonum, niccolo
difrancesco

From: "Diana Skaggs" <liadan at sbcglobal.net>
I have heard about not sending goodies made with alcohol into Islamic
nations. I know it has/had something to do with alcohol being banned. My
question is, would our goodies be sent somewhere in the US and shipped
by military transport to bases overseas? Or would we be trying to mail
things individually?  Besides, its difficult to tell whether vanilla
extract or vanilla sugar was used to make the cookies after they are
baked.
Liadan>>>>>

There was discussion during Desert Storm that soldiers in certain
nations could have been legally compromised by possession of alcoholic
products or pornography.  Has to do with the laws in the country and the
diplomatic agreements regarding troops and/or American citizens abroad .
. . think like that guy who got caned over in the Far East.

Vanilla Extract would likely be no issue, while bourbon would be more
in the realm of contraband material, ergo bourbon balls may be risky in
some regions.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco